Friday, May 29, 2009

Inspiration from India's Beauty


3:08pm, Thursday, May 28, 2009

I’m basking in the beauty of India as I slowly float along the backwaters of Alleppey in a private houseboat. The expansive murky river ripples by quietly while lines of tall coconut trees go past swaying to the gentle Indian breeze. Birds glide and sing through the pale blue sky lighted by the warmth of the sun and decorated by fluffy white clouds. My friends Alex and Tapasya peacefully take an afternoon nap after a delicious South Indian feast just freshly prepared aboard by the chef. The boat operator and deckhand sit at the front of the vessel as they “talk story” behind the wheel. My heart and mind are still, and I am happy. It almost seems like a dream too good to be real. But then, I remember and realize where I am. I’m in Kerala: God’s Own Country.

As I take in the great beauty of this place, I’m filled with a simple, powerful, and deep sense of tranquility, inspiration, and meaning. This feeling is what beauty does to you. At first, beauty overtakes you and places you in complete stillness. Later, beauty compels you to share the richness of the world with others. It calls you to live life in all its fullness and motivates you to help humanity reach similar experiences of real meaningfulness.

For the past couple days and the rest of the week, my life can be summed up by three words: “just going places”. I am taking in India for all that it is without any level of responsibility or obligation. And as a person who is so driven to make the most of my abilities, talents, and resources to better the lives of others, it’s almost difficult to simply sit back, relax, and get treated like a king (feasts three times a day, amazing accommodations, on-demand transportation and services).

But then, I justify this incredible vacationing: life is about balance. Right now I am balancing all the “work” in my life with some play. By taking some time for myself to soak in the world’s beauty, I will find more time to passionately serve others to remove its ugliness.

So I am excited to continue my life of “just going places”. Yet, I feel it already. I feel the even greater and deeper excitement to unleash all my building inspiration to share life’s beauty with others.

1 comment:

Rafi said...

nice to hear that you have started exploring the gods own country.

be careful of all the fevers spreading over there.. please be careful..take complete precautions..

well do come to the northern part of kerala also.. especially the wayanad district..lots of intersting things are waiting for you there..
the muthanga wild life sanctuary, edakkal caves, kuruva islands..meenmutty and suchippara waterfalls, and some other dams..
and a mahatma ghandi musesum in kalpetta.. near the jain temple..
catch more from the net..

don't miss wayand.... n take care..move away from aleppy and kottayam..
lvn n prayers
rafi
rafimsw@gmail.com