Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July 4th: Belated Entry

This was written on July 4th, and I've transcribed it here:

[Written originally in the cafeteria in the morning]

My first bucket shower was a success. I don't exactly have soap or shampoo yet, but that's a work in progress. I'd like to order breakfast, but I don't know what the menu means, nor can I communicate with the cooks. I should get an English-Kannada dictionary some time soon. I'm all moved into my room now. The mattress is okay, and the sheets are iffy, but I was so tired that it didn't matter.

We bug-bombed the room to kill mosquitos, and it seems to have worked for the most part. I did, however, find this huge beetle that was as large as the first digit of my thumb. That was a site.

~

So I ordered breakfast. I'm not sure what it was called, and I didn't really like it either. I had two doughnut-like things, except I wasn't so lucky as for them to be doughnuts. It came with these two weird sauces, too. Not my favorite. Then there was this goofy yellow rice stuff with crusty white stuff on it. My little Indian friends (students sitting at the table with me, uninvited, but welcome) tell me its called Alaki. There's about 70 Indian kids in here wearing NCC uniforms. It means National Cadet Corps. The kids are really friendly...

[End of journal entry]

P.S. I now have shampoo and soap and stuff. I went to "Big Bazaar" (an Indian Target, kind of). Bucket showers, however, I will not get used to. Not a fan.

P.P.S. I now know how to order breakfast! I like "Palau" (kind of like fried rice) and Baji (deep fried dough-balls). The food here is delicious, but not very healthy.

3 comments:

Daniel Bachhuber said...

If you can find a copy (which is easy because they sell them in Big Bazaar), read "It Happened In India" by Kishore Biyani. Super insightful about how this guy is turning around the retail industry in India (Kishore Biyani founded Big Bazaar).

Also, dosa, masala or otherwise, is the best breakfast food. Well, that and cornflakes with water buffalo milk if they have it. India isn't so hot on creative breakfasts...

Unknown said...

Papa John, lol.

I just found this log, and I'm enjoying reading about your adventures from the comforts of my squishy office chair and air conditioned cubical at Caltrans.

Best of luck saving the world. I'll be joining you in the not too distant future.

~ Hector

Papa John said...

I've come to love these little dough ball things, which I think are called Baji, but my friends tell me that Baji is something else. I'm now comfortable enough eating breakfast that I get something good and filling every day.

~

Air... conditioning... that sounds lovely. This one restaurant we go to has a fancy air conditioned room upstairs, but that's about all the AC we've encountered here. I'm still not used to going to bed sweaty.

Thanks for the well-wishes Hector. :-)