Thursday, July 2, 2009

Memories from the Past - Aspirations for the Future

As I gazed across the rows upon rows of school children standing in the open dirt grounds, a feeling of remembrance swept through me. I remembered how not so long ago, I was just like one of them. I was just a kid.

My thoughts drifted back, back to a time when life was so simple and innocent. I loved playing basketball, and my dream was set on being the next Michael Jordan. I couldn't wait for school to get out so I could go home and watch Power Rangers with my brother and sister. My favorite cereal was Pops.

My attention returned to the present, and I was back to my 21 year old self. Oh, how so much has changed. Oh, how much have I experienced to evolve into the man I am today. A man seeking self-realization by going head-on with life's deepest and most difficult questions. A man willing to self-sacrifice to fulfill his aspirations of profoundly impacting the world. A man driven to live a life of great responsibility and grand expectations.

Being in India this summer has both rekindled my childlike personality from the past and emblazoned my mature visions for the future. In one moment, I am wildly running around playing alleyway cricket with other innocent kids, without a single responsibility. In another moment, I am conducting an important meeting with influential community leaders, with the great responsibility of bringing clean drinking water to hundreds of needy families.

My hope is that I can stay in the present moment. Most sharply aware of who I am today, but also attuned to who I was yesterday and who I can be tomorrow. Living this way, I know decades from now, I can reminisce about when I was just 21, be happy for who I am then, and excited for the years to come.

-Bronson

No comments: